Save all Trees....NOT just Stanley Park
I have a bone to pick with all of the "Save Stanley Park" bandwagon jumpers. It makes me angry that a little publicity can raise millions to clean up Stanley Park in one week while the rest of the Province is struggling to cope with millions of trees ravaged by the Mountain Pine Beetle and consequently, forest fires. The beetle is killed when temps dip well below freezing but Global Warming is having an impact on these low temps. The beetles are now able to survive the winter, destroying the trees in the process and leaving them to be set ablaze like kindling in the summer. As the summers become hotter, the trees are left drought-stressed and more susceptible to beetle attack. Out of site out of mind I guess.
Please check out this website before you open your wallet: http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfp/mountain_pine_beetle/
Here are some facts directly off the site:
- About 8.7 million hectares were in red-attack stage in 2005 as a result of the mountain pine beetle.
- The mountain pine beetle infestation will have economic implications in the future for 30 communities around the province.
- 25,000 families in British Columbia are having their livelihoods impacted by the beetle infestation.





2 Comments:
You know, its funny that you posted this because I have thought this exact post about ten times. Everytime I see those ads for the Stanley Park tree saving, I always think about how they have raised millions of dollars for Stanley Park in just a few weeks, but other worthy causes, such as the one you described, dont get any recognition even though they are ravaging economies and devastating our province's natural beauty. Something to think about I guess.
Happy Birthday Taralyn!!
The pine beetle thing is absolutely devastating for sure, but I don't feel bad about donating to the Stanley Park restoration fund. It's a place that I spend a lot of time and I think that giving back to the community is a really positive thing to do. It is annoying that publicity can raise the millions, but unless you can educate the masses they're not going to know how they can help and god knows the media does a piss poor job of that most of the time.
The government came up with a pretty small amount of funding to help Stanley Park compared to the hundreds of millions of dollars they have pumped into the pine beetle epidemic, which seems almost to be a lost cause at this point. Maybe we can get Jimmy Pattison to chip in and start breeding some gigantic woodpeckers??
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home