My New Job
I have a new job as a receptionist for Artesia Spa in the Hilton Whistler Resort & Spa. It has nothing to do with my biology degree but I thought it would be fun and the perks are great!My job search here was interesting. I'll be writing the MCAT in April so I dropped resumes at all medical facilities before leaving for Ironman. Most places require you to have some specialized training or certification (e.g. lab tech, X-ray tech) so I didn't have much luck. When I got back I did another resume drop and still didn't hear anything for a few days. This was a bit depressing since Whistler has a huge labour shortage and most places are desperate for employees. I saw a posting for Artesia Spa on the Chamber of Commerce website and faxed off my resume. Within an hour I had a call back and went for an interview that same day. Somehow this started the ball rolling and I had 5 other call backs in the next 24 hours. I went to one other interview but decided I liked the spa atmosphere and told Adele I'd love to work there. (Yes, Shannon, my boss is Adele too!) I cancelled on the other interviews and started work on Sunday. I was still getting call backs yesterday but seriously, if somebody wants to start work they're not going to sit around for weeks and wait for your call. Ironically, it's the least glamorous places that have the longest interview/hiring procedures. No wonder they have trouble finding staff!
Artesia Spa is on the reception level in the Hilton.Here's a link to the website:
http://artesiaspa.com/

I also applied to volunteer at the S.A.F.E clinic for sexual and reproductive health. It runs out of the hospital on Tuesday nights and training should start in 3 weeks. This will give me a bit more balance and some experience working in a health care environment, always a bonus on a medical school application.

2 Comments:
sounds great although there is no way i could work while everybody around me were getting massages and facials. ps are there very close friend discounts? i might have to come visit. jay isn't busy right? he can watch the kids while we get facials and massages?!?!? .... i can't wait to hear the stories you will have at the safe clinic?!?!
Congrats on the new job! Does your Adele swear like a sailor too?? lol. Count me in for that close friend discount!!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home